Skip to main content

Class Blogs: What are they, and why do I need one?

Many thanks to Ms. Orozco for her willingness to be a guest blogger on our blog. We truly appreciate it and can't wait to try out our own class blogs!
~Maggie and Laura

Class blogs can be of great use in engaging students, and fueling their success in and out of the classroom.  I personally first started using a class blog in 2014 with my Geography students.  I had already tried several blogging platforms for personal use, such as Tumblr, Blogger, and LiveJournal, but while initially impressed with their features and overall look, had since become disenchanted, when I stumbled upon WordPress.  WordPress did have a learning curve, and I continue to learn new ways of interacting with it, and leveraging its tools, but it is well worth the time and effort because of all the customization you can do with it, and all the features available.
I created a class blog with the following features that I used and absolutely recommend to anyone just starting out with a blog:
  • Create a “Documents” page, where I uploaded any and all handouts given to students in class, for easy access (this saved students on a number of occasions!)
  • After class, create a post sharing what was discussed in class, and any YouTube videos shown, as well as the homework assigned
  • When students form groups for working a class project, post names of students in groups and assigned task/topic on the blog (for privacy reasons, I put only students’ first name, and last initial) for easy reference later
  • Extra credit!  This was a great way to get students using the blog often.  I would randomly post extra credit opportunities (usually articles that expand on the lesson, followed by a related activity and/or questions) on the blog).  The rule was, I would not announce it in class, so they had to be paying attention, because any extra credits I posted on the blog, must be turned in within a week of being posted.
The class blogs I created were used with my 9th graders.  However, if you are teaching lower grades, class blogs can still be a great communication tool.  By sharing your class blog with parents, they can keep up to date and in the loop with what’s happening in your classroom.  You can include any documents or resources that may be of use to them as they help their child study at home, as well as showcasing student work.  
For inspiration, here are a few of my previous blogs:
Blog01.PNG
Blog02.PNG
If you’re just getting started and need a little help, YouTube has many tutorials to teach you the basics.  Additionally, WordPress has some articles on their website about how to get started.  

Author Bio: Amanda Orozco has been an educator for the past six years, teaching students ages 5 to over 50 both in the US and abroad. She is inspired by the way technology allows educators to work smarter every day, and seeks to provide materials that make technology more accessible and applicable to the classroom.
Inline image 1

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Product Alert! Neons!

Anyone else love neons?! We do! (To be honest though, neither of us have neon classrooms. Laura's room is an island theme and mine is more about gold glam.)  If you're looking for a really cute neon kit for ONLY $2, then look no further!  https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Neons-for-Your-Classroom-set-2-3272112 And here's a freebie, just for you! (Just click the link!) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8La3TeQ3JwqaVZNQWowc1BrWWc/view?usp=sharing

Reply-All?

Can I get an "Amen?!" Teachers, you do NOT need to "Reply All" unless everyone (and I do mean everyone) on that list needs to know what you are typing.  And that's all. That. Is. all. 

You Know Best- An Open Letter to My Daughter- From My Teacher-Mama Heart

12/1/16 (This was written on 12/1/16. My daughter was much younger then, but the ideas still remain.) My dear, sweet girl, You Know Best You, my sweet girl, know best. You know better than anyone how hard I work for my “kiddos”. You know because you see it. No, you don’t go to school with me every day. You go to your own school. And, no, you don’t know my “kiddos” at all. You know because you see me. You see me for who I am. You, my sweet girl, give up many hours of play to see me working tirelessly on my computer. You see me always striving for better for my kids. You hear me asking for ideas and looking for fun activities that also engage their brains in the standards I’ve been given to teach. You, my sweet girl, know best. You know better than anyone how much I love my “kiddos”. You see me cry tears of joy when they succeed at something, especially when they succeed at something they’ve been really struggling with. You see me cry tears of pain because my