Skip to main content

Flexible Seating- The Good, The Bad, and The Downright UGLY

Flexible seating is all the rage. ALL. THE. RAGE!

And it's awesome! Truly, it is. But, it's not something that works for everyone.

Let me tell you about my flexible seating journey...

Two years ago I decided I would offer some flexible seating options. Nothing major, just some stability balls and wiggle seats. I already let my kids move to sit on the floor, etc when they are reading or working in groups (or even independently). So, this was no big deal to me for them to have some choices.

Last year (before the school year started) I decided I'd go for this completely. I was all in on this. So, I bought stools, had tall stools donated, bought scoop rockers, more stability balls, yoga mats, lap desks, short tables for floor sitting... I had it all! And I was so excited. I loved it.
This shows one side of my classroom.

So, what happened? Well, I think that the lack of structure was a bit much for them to handle. They craved a space to call their own. When I decided to fully jump into this, I gave up the idea of them having assigned seats. They sat where ever. That quickly became a nightmare. It wasn't their fault. Not at all. I take full responsibility. The year before those children loved it. They loved having seat choices and they hated being tied down to a certain spot. The kids I had last year were different.
 
This has pictures that show most of my classroom. You can see the short tables for floor sitting, the stability balls, lap desks, and scoop rockers.

This shows more of my room (while I was still setting it up.)

These were used for the kids to pick their seats. Each table bucket (they held pencils) had a certain amount of gold dot stickers at the top. Those gold dot stickers represented the number of seats at that table. Each child had a clothes pin with their name on it and they put their clip somewhere different at the end of each day for the next day. 

You see, I failed to remember one huge part of teaching- and that is that you teach the kids you HAVE. The ones in your room right now. Not the ones from last year, in years past, or next year... the kids sitting in the room right now. That's who you teach. So, I did an awesome job of setting up my room and prepping it... for the kids I had the year before. But, the kids I had last year needed something different.

I struggled. I'll admit it. I wanted so badly for it to work. I spent so much time and money on flexible seating and then it BLEW UP in my face. It was ugly. And I only had myself to blame. I'd like to say I immediately saw the error of my ways and changed. But I didn't. It took me a loooonnngggg while to figure out what the problem was.

So, we stopped moving seats. We didn't use stability balls unless they were reading independently. They could still use the wiggle seats and the scoop rockers. They had their own seats, but they still had the opportunity to move around like I've always allowed my kids to do. So many issues stopped when the flexible seating stopped. 

I'm not trying to discourage the use of flexible seating. In fact, I still fully support it. I just don't participate in it any more. 

If you're interested in flexible seating I have a few tips and tricks for you:
1. Start small and simple. Get a few yoga mats or a stability ball or two. Don't overhaul your room at once. 
2. Set clear expectations and consequences. Make sure these are communicated to parents. 
3. Make sure parents know and understand the positives of flexible seating and how their child (or other children in the room) will benefit from these options. (Many parents see it as a distraction... and it certainly can be.)
4. Check Goodwill, for sale pages on Facebook, yard sales, etc. A coat of paint can fix so much! 
5. Donors' Choose is AMAZING for this! If you've never used Donors' Choose you're missing out! (More on that in another post.)
6. Make sure your administration supports the use of flexible seating. My admin is amazing and always supports what we feel is best for our kids, but some admin are not crazy about the idea. So, check before you spend!
7. As with anything you ever do as a teacher- make sure it is actually hat is best for YOUR KIDS. Your current kids. It may take some being flexible on your part for it to truly work. 

8. Don't feel like a failure if it fails. There's always next year! :) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Product Alert! Neons!

Anyone else love neons?! We do! (To be honest though, neither of us have neon classrooms. Laura's room is an island theme and mine is more about gold glam.)  If you're looking for a really cute neon kit for ONLY $2, then look no further!  https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Neons-for-Your-Classroom-set-2-3272112 And here's a freebie, just for you! (Just click the link!) https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8La3TeQ3JwqaVZNQWowc1BrWWc/view?usp=sharing

Reply-All?

Can I get an "Amen?!" Teachers, you do NOT need to "Reply All" unless everyone (and I do mean everyone) on that list needs to know what you are typing.  And that's all. That. Is. all. 

You Know Best- An Open Letter to My Daughter- From My Teacher-Mama Heart

12/1/16 (This was written on 12/1/16. My daughter was much younger then, but the ideas still remain.) My dear, sweet girl, You Know Best You, my sweet girl, know best. You know better than anyone how hard I work for my “kiddos”. You know because you see it. No, you don’t go to school with me every day. You go to your own school. And, no, you don’t know my “kiddos” at all. You know because you see me. You see me for who I am. You, my sweet girl, give up many hours of play to see me working tirelessly on my computer. You see me always striving for better for my kids. You hear me asking for ideas and looking for fun activities that also engage their brains in the standards I’ve been given to teach. You, my sweet girl, know best. You know better than anyone how much I love my “kiddos”. You see me cry tears of joy when they succeed at something, especially when they succeed at something they’ve been really struggling with. You see me cry tears of pain because my